*Applications for 950 Gallery will be available in 2020, exact dates to be decided. To stay informed on Spaceworks opportunities, sign up for the Spaceworks Newsletter.
950 GALLERY DESCRIPTION
The 950 Gallery provides a space for contemporary artists and curators working in the Pacific Northwest to host feature exhibitions. Activating a longstanding vacant space, the gallery is operated by Spaceworks Tacoma. Always free and open to the public, space also holds an information desk for people to learn more about Spaceworks Tacoma’s programs, opportunities, and events.
FREE & OPEN TO PUBLIC
Every Thursday 1-5PM
Third Thursday 1-9PM
Or By Appointment
950 Pacific Ave. Suite 205
Tacoma, WA (entrance on 11th)
*there is no charge to apply
Spaceworks Tacoma is accepting applications from Pacific Northwest artists and curators to host an exhibition in the 950 Gallery, during the calendar year of 2020. Spaceworks is seeking applications from individuals or teams who:
- Have a proposal for a solo exhibition, or group exhibition.
- Can successfully and fully activate the entire gallery space (~1,000 sq. ft.).
- Is an experienced artist or curator with a developed proposal for an exhibit.
- Can lead the organization, installation, and promotion of an exhibit (with assistance from Spaceworks on each of these steps).
GALLERY SPACE & AMENITIES
The 950 Gallery sits on the corner of 11th and Commerce in downtown Tacoma with large windows facing both streets. The space is approximately 1,000 square feet, with approximately 150 feet of wall space for hanging art. In addition, there is a separate video room (100 sq. ft.) equipped with projector and speakers that serves well for showcasing video work and/or installation. For full details about measurements, lighting, pedestals, vinyl lettering, tech specs, etc. please visit:
Any individual artist, curator, artist team, or curator team in the Pacific Northwest may apply. Both solo exhibitions and group shows are welcome. Past participants of Spaceworks’ programs may apply.
6 applicants will be selected based on the criteria listed below. The review process is competitive and the panel will be looking for a range of media and concepts.
- Overall quality of past artwork or past curation shown in work samples.
- Ingenuity and strength of the concept of proposed exhibit.
- Ability of artist/curator/team to execute proposed exhibit.
Applications are reviewed and voted on by a panel of 5 individuals comprised of two artists, one curator, one arts professional, and one member of the Spaceworks Steering Committee.
- Submit application by the deadline.
- Applications are voted on by the selection panel.
- Applicants notified of results.
- Spaceworks staff works with selected artists/curators/teams to identify exhibit schedule. Each exhibit runs 1.5 months (One week to install, opening reception on Third Thursday Art Walk, closing reception the following Third Thursday Art Walk, one week to de-install).
- Artist/curator/team receives the contract and begins installation on the assigned date.
- Artist/curator/team assists Spaceworks in organizing and promoting the opening reception during Art Walk on the Third Thursday of the opening month.
- Artist/curator/team completes de-installation on assigned date.
SELECTED PARTICIPANTS MUST AGREE TO
- Install and de-install the artwork, and display apparatus at their own risk and expense.
- Provide a complete artwork inventory list. Spaceworks will hold insurance for an amount equal to the total retail value of all included artworks.
- Be willing to uninstall the artwork earlier than planned or give up the space if the property owner finds a permanent tenant within the negotiated timeframe.
- Understand that the artwork displayed must be appropriate for the public realm.
- Partner with Spaceworks to promote the exhibit and exhibit events.
- Comply with all federal, state, and local laws.
- Leave the space in the same or better condition.
- Understand that payments cannot be made until contracts have been fully processed.
SALES, COMMISSION, PRICING
- Art on display in the gallery may be for sale, or not for sale. This is determined by each artist, curator, or team.
- The 950 Gallery will process all sales made during the exhibit.
- The 950 Gallery will take a 25% commission of all sales made during the exhibit.
- Pricing of the artworks is determined by each artist, curator, or team.
□ 10 IMAGES demonstrating past work (required)
Artists/curators applying as a team who have no examples of joint work in the past should submit images of each individual’s work.
– Provide a written description (50 words or less) for each image. If work is presented as part of a collaboration, explain your role in the larger project. For written descriptions of artwork consider including the artist name, title, medium, dimensions, year, and/or specific statement. For written descriptions of all other images, please explain the necessary details needed to understand what we are looking at.
□ 2 ONLINE VIDEOS demonstrating past work (optional)
– Provide the exact web address(es) where the online videos can be viewed. The panel will view 1 minute of each video. Please make note in the description if you wish the panel to view a specific timeframe.
– Provide a written description (50 words or less) for each video explaining the necessary details needed to understand what we are looking at. If work is presented as part of a collaboration, explain your role in the larger project.
□ EXHIBIT PROPOSAL – WRITTEN DESCRIPTION (required)
Provide us with a written description of your proposed Spaceworks Gallery exhibit (250 words or less). You may explain, but are not limited to the following points:
– Does your exhibit have a title? Or a working title?
– Is it a solo show, group show, curated objects, etc?
– What type, medium, or style of work will be included?
– Is there an overall theme? Are there underlying themes?
– Provide some social, political, or historical context.
– Has this exhibit been previously displayed?
– Is this a brand new exhibit?
– If you propose to curate an exhibit, have you identified the artists? If not, how will you identify the artists?
□ 2 SUPPLEMENTAL MATERIALS (optional)
You may provide two additional attachments related to past work, or exhibit proposal.
– File Formats: JPG, TIFF, PNG, GIF, SVG, PDF, DOC, DOCX, TXT, or RTF.
– Provide a written description (50 words or less) for each supplemental material explaining the necessary details needed to understand what we are looking at. If work is presented as part of a collaboration, explain your role in the larger project.
□ RESUME(S) (required)
– Submit resume for the primary contact, and up to two other relevant team/group members.
□ DEMOGRAPHIC INFORMATION
This section is optional. This information allows us to understand who we are reaching, and who we are missing. We have a goal of maintaining programs and services that reflect the diversity of Tacoma. This information will not be presented to the selection panel. This information will be confidential *Fill out this information for the Primary Contact only
This section asks for:
- Household size
- Hispanic Ethnicity
For any questions or issues contact:
Spaceworks Artscapes Coordinator