Deadline – Feb 22nd, 2021
Eligibility – Artists or Artist Groups residing in Pierce County
Opportunity – 8 artists or artist groups will be selected to join the Rapid Mural program, and will complete at least 20 murals in 2021. Selected participants will be compensated at $200 for submitting 2 mural designs, and then at $75 per each 4 foot by 8 foot sheet of plywood that is activated with mural art (the purchase and installation of the plywood is not the artist’s responsibility).
Spaceworks is seeking muralists that reside in Pierce County to join our Rapid Mural program. 8 artists or artist groups will create over 20 murals in 2021 on boarded up storefronts in Tacoma. Participants will complete 2 designs each, that can be easily replicated and quickly implemented. Then Spaceworks will assign them to locations throughout the year as opportunities arise. The group will function as a cohort, providing critique on each other’s designs during the draft phase, share technical advice, and then have a culminating event at the end of the year to celebrate the work accomplished.
In response to boarded-up businesses in Tacoma during COVID-19, Spaceworks has partnered with local organizations and businesses to operate a rapid mural program. These temporary murals, painted directly onto installed plywood panels, serve to 1) support local businesses, 2) reduce crime and unwanted graffiti, 3) provide income for local artists, and 4) offer civic hope and positive messaging. This program is made possible with support from The Downtown Tacoma Partnership, Tacoma Creates, the Tacoma-Pierce County Chamber, private sponsors, other partner groups, and individual giving.
Given the recent challenges of a global pandemic, and a racial reckoning occurring throughout the US, Spaceworks sees the Rapid Mural program as an opportunity for artists to offer civic hope and positive messaging.
Selected Participants Must Agree to:
– Complete 2 designs that can be easily replicated and quickly implemented on boarded up spaces. Participants will be required to join a group critique session (two groups of four will meet virtually and offer feedback on each other’s design drafts).
– Participants will be brought on as independent contractors. Invoices can be submitted for $200 payment upon completion of the designs, and then upon completion of each mural at the standard rate ($75 per each 4 foot by 8 foot sheet of plywood that is activated with art). The purchase and installation of the plywood is not the artist’s responsibility.
– Spaceworks will assign participants to mural spaces throughout the year as opportunities arise. The participants are then expected to complete the mural within 2 weeks.
– Each participant can anticipate completing 2-3 murals in 2021, depending on opportunities available.
– Participants will adhere to Washington State regulations regarding COVID19 guidelines while creating murals in public spaces.
– Participants understand that these murals are temporary, and ownership of the artwork or boards in often in question. Spaceworks recognizes the value of these artworks, and has partnered with the Downtown Tacoma Partnership and the University of Washington Tacoma in attempt to salvage and store these murals once they come down.
Click here to see past Rapid Murals
February 22, 2021 – Application deadline
March 3, 2021 – Selected applicants notified
March 23, 2021 – 2 draft designs due from each participant
March 24, 2021 – Virtual group critiques of draft designs
April 7, 2021 – Final designs due
Nov 18, 2021 – Culmination event
Artists or Artist Groups residing in Pierce County.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Diverse people, voices, and perspectives strengthen Spaceworks and Tacoma. We work with our partners to reduce barriers and provide equitable access to creative and economic opportunities. We intentionally build programs and services that reflect the diversity of Tacoma.
– Overall quality of past artwork shown in work samples.
– Ability to execute murals (i.e., designs that can be easily replicated and quickly implemented), based on past work samples and the answers to the written questions.
– Experience or desire to work in the public realm and create designs that offer civic hope and positive messaging, based on past work samples and application question responses.
Applications are reviewed and voted on by a panel of 5 individuals comprised of two artists, two arts professionals, and one member of the Spaceworks Steering Committee.
The application includes the following required items:
– Complete Spaceworks Standard Participant Survey
This survey will ask for the interests and demographics of the primary contact filling out the application (required). If applying as a team, up to two additional members may complete this survey (optional). This information will not be presented to the selection panel. This information will help Spaceworks understand who we are reaching, and who we are missing. Spaceworks has a commitment across its programs to provide selection panels with pools of applicants that reflect the broad racial and cultural diversity of Tacoma.
– Submit 10 examples of past work
Images of past work, along with brief written image descriptions.
– 2 written questions
1. What techniques or strategies would you employ to meet the fast installation time (i.e., murals painted in less than 2 weeks)? (300 character limit)
2. What themes or ideas might you explore in your mural designs? If selected, you would not be required to stick with this answer. We’re just asking for your initial ideas, and inspiration. (300 character limit)
This application is now closed