Download the job announcement (PDF)
APPLICATIONS DUE MONDAY, MARCH 21, 2022
Spaceworks Tacoma is seeking an enthusiastic Property and Business Coordinator to lead the Black Business Accelerator and provide support to local entrepreneurs who activate commercial spaces.
Since 2010, Spaceworks Tacoma has provided business training, public art programming, and creative activation of underutilized spaces throughout Tacoma and Pierce County. The Black Business Accelerator is a multi-year program to center and restore Black entrepreneurship in new development projects on Hilltop. As we enter in our second year of programming, our emphasis will be on leasing and building out physical business spaces.
Qualities and Experience
The ideal candidate is passionate about transforming lives through small business ownership and working with community members and partners to create vibrant neighborhoods and business districts. The following roles are critical to the success of this position:
- Entrepreneur: Creating novel solutions that respond to emerging needs and opportunities.
- Case Manager: Working one-on-one with entrepreneurs to help them achieve their individual goals and connecting them with the tools and resources they need to succeed.
- Community and Coalition Builder: Maximizing impact and creating buy-in by collaborating with stakeholders throughout Tacoma.
- Broker: Managing the needs and expectations of both small business owners and property owners/developers.
Candidates with any of these backgrounds are encouraged to apply:
- Business owner of brick-and-mortar space
- Commercial property developer and/or manager
- Technical assistance provider (economic development/small business support)
- Property broker
For areas outside of one’s expertise, the coordinator is expected to collaborate, partner, and/or contract with other professionals. On-the-job training is available to develop technical skills needed for this position (e.g., Salesforce, commercial leases).
Candidates should have a positive outlook and thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic, and collaborative professional office environment. They should desire to learn new skills and grow their career. Competitive candidates should demonstrate clear written and oral communication skills, the ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines, and a commitment to recruiting and serving diverse program participants.
This position reports to the Spaceworks Program Director and works closely with 2 other Spaceworks team members. Spaceworks is a program of the Tacoma-Pierce County Chamber, a 501(c)(6) nonprofit.
Essential Job Duties
Implementation of Black Business Accelerator (75%)
- Support a cohort of +20 Black businesses (e.g., case management, recruitment)
- Create profiles and action plans for each program participant
- Advise on leasing, financing, commercial space buildouts and tenant improvements
- Coordinate with community stakeholders and partners
- Serve as the primary point of contact with Hilltop developers
- Oversee contracts with business professionals, as needed (e.g., accountant, photographer)
- Lead a Business Demo/Pitch Day special event in September
- Submit monthly progress reports
Other Spaceworks duties (20%)
- Participate in weekly team and individual meetings
- Provide content and ideas for social media and monthly newsletter
- Maintain participant records in Salesforce and other databases
- Assist with annual fundraisers and special events (CACHET and Star Bazaar)
- Monthly data reporting
Spaceworks Coworking Back-Up (5%)
- Support the Spaceworks Director in managing 1120 Downtown, 12 affordable studios for artists and creative entrepreneurs. This may include occasional leasing and tours and maintenance requests
- Be on-call for emergencies (every other month)
Future growth opportunities within position
- Develop comprehensive program of commercial space support beyond Black Business Accelerator
- Develop relationships with property owners and developers throughout Tacoma
- Property management of Spaceworks-leased spaces
This is a non-exempt position. The position is full-time, 40 hours/week. Compensation is $24.50/hr (equal to $50,960/year). While the position requires some availability on nights and weekends, there is otherwise a flexible work schedule. This is a hybrid position, with 2-3 days in-person days based in downtown Tacoma. Benefits include:
- Short- & Long-term disability insurance
- AD&D insurance, dental insurance
- 10 paid holidays, 16 days of paid time off
- ORCA transit pass
- 3-5 years of professional work experience
- High-school diploma or GED required
- Driver’s license and auto insurance
- Proficient with MS Office Suite
- Ability to pass a WA state criminal background check
It is the policy of the Tacoma-Pierce County Chamber that employment decisions are based on merit, qualifications, and competence. Employment practices will not be influenced or affected by virtue of an applicant’s or employee’s race; religion; color; national origin; age; sex; genetic information; the presence of a sensory, physical, or mental disability; marital status; military status; sexual orientation; gender identity; actual or perceived victims of domestic violence, sexual assault, or stalking; or on any other basis protected by federal, state, or local law. This policy governs all aspects of employment, evaluation, promotion, assignment, discharge, and other terms and conditions of employment. The Tacoma-Pierce County Chamber encourages people from diverse backgrounds to apply.
Application Closing Date: Monday, March 21, 2022
Interviews will be conducted through March 31, with a final decision announced shortly thereafter.
Anticipated State Date: mid-April, 2022
Please send a single PDF file that includes a cover letter and resume to:
Michael Liang – Spaceworks Director
Email Subject Line: Spaceworks Property and Business Coordinator