Spaceworks Tacoma is accepting Artscapes applications for projects that will launch in 2015 at a variety of sites in Tacoma. The deadline for applications is Monday, October 20, 2014 5PM PST. We seek project proposals from artists and artist teams from the Pacific Northwest who:
- Can develop a site responsive art installation, or mural, in an indoor or outdoor space for a period of 3½ months or more
- Can successfully and fully activate a vacant public space that is visible 24 hours/day
- Is an experienced artist seeking a unique location to exhibit work
- Can create an enticing destination-quality visual display for passersby
Artscapes temporarily places 2-dimensional, 3-dimensional or multi-media art installations in storefront windows, lobby display cases, outdoor wall spaces, and an outdoor video gallery. The program offers an artist stipend of $250 – $1000 (depending on location) to support the creation of new work and site-specific projects, or the installation of existing work.
- Any individual artist or artist team in the Pacific Northwest may apply.
Selected participants in the Spaceworks’ Artscapes program must agree to the following:
- Be willing to uninstall the piece earlier than planned or give up the space if the property owner finds a permanent tenant within the negotiated timeframe
- Install and de-install your own work
- Present high quality artwork
- Create an enticing visual display for passersby
- Maintain a high quality display for the duration of the exhibition
- Understand that they will have limited access to their space, as required for installation and deinstallations
- Partner with Spaceworks Tacoma to market and promote events and activities
- Comply with all federal, state, and local laws
- Leave the space in the same or better condition when they move out
- Understand that initial payment is made within 30 days after installation upon receipt of an invoice, and that payments cannot be made until contracts have been fully processed. A portion of payment is retained until deinstallation is complete.
About the Spaces and Timeline
A minimum of 20 spaces are available throughout 2015. Click here for information on the current spaces including their location, images, schematic diagrams, and the rounds they are available. Spaceworks is constantly working to identify more spaces, so we are also accepting proposals for potential project sites, such as vacant storefronts and open spaces like Tollefson Plaza. If you propose a project for a location other than already secured spaces, think broadly about your work and about the potential spaces in which it could be installed.
Spaces vary in size and amenities; selected artists will be paired with an appropriate space for their proposal. Keep in mind that some spaces can be raw and windows may have active “For Lease” signs, which cannot be moved. Indoor art installations are on display 24/7, which is not compatible with the use of digital projectors.
Acceptance into the Spaceworks’ Artscapes program is not a guarantee that you will be placed in a space. We can only place as many projects as we have available spaces, and it can be difficult to place all of the projects we would like. Spaceworks reserves the right to pair selected artists with spaces at its discretion.
All applicants will be selected based on the following criteria. The review process is competitive and the review panel will be looking for a diversity of offerings.
- Quality of work as exhibited in the work samples
- Feasibility and ability to execute proposal
- Ability of the project to engage passers-by 24/7
- Ingenuity and strength of concept/proposal
- Appropriateness for the public realm
Applications to the Spaceworks’ Artscapes program are reviewed by a panel of artists, arts professionals, Spaceworks Steering Committee members, representatives of neighborhood groups, and/or commercial property owners.
Applicants will be notified of selection results by mid-November 2014.
- 5-10 digital images that demonstrate the artist’s past work. Whenever possible, include images of similar past projects. Artists applying as a team who have no examples of joint work in the past should submit 5 images of each artist’s work.
o File Format: Submit only “High” quality JPG files (do not use GIF, TIFF, or other formats.) Do not embed the images into PowerPoint or submit moving image or audio files.
o Image Size: Images must be 72 ppi resolution and 1000 pixels max on the largest side.
o File Size: Files must be less than 2 MB each
o File Labeling: Files must be titled with the applicant’s name followed by a number indicating the viewing order. Use a “0” in front of single digit numbers and use only letters, numbers, and underscores. For example: Smith_01.jpg; Smith_02.jpg. If using Mac OS 8 or later, be sure to include a “.jpg” extension at the end of each image title.
o File Upload: In the online application, please upload your images in the order to be viewed.
- AND/OR up to three online videos that demonstrate the artist’s past work.
o Please provide the exact web address(es) where the online videos can be viewed. The panel will view a minimum of 1 minute and a maximum of 3 minutes of each video.
WORK SAMPLE DESCRIPTIONS
Provide the following information on the online application form for each image:
- Title of each work represented in the image or activity depicted
- Media & dimensions (H x W x D”), if applicable, or description of activity
- Long description if needed. If work is presented as part of a collaboration, explain your role in the larger project
- For videos longer than 3 minutes, note what 1-3 minute segment you want the panel to review
RESUME (three pages or less)
- If submitting as a team/group, a current resume should be submitted for the contact person and all relevant team/group members
- Save as pdf. File should be 1 MB or less.
- Name your resume file with your last name like this: “Smith_ Resume.pdf”
ANSWERS TO THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS
We are looking for a clear idea of your project and your ability to successfully implement it. Be as concise as possible. The review panel will not read more than the designated word count for each question. You may answer in narrative, bulleted or other form.
- Outline your proposal concept for an Artscapes installation. We understand that your finished installation may differ from your proposal, depending on the space you’re given.
(500 words/3000 characters or less).
- Describe what you are looking for in a space and what your specific needs will be (i.e. do you need a shallow space, a deep space, do you have specific electrical requirements, etc.).
(250 words/1500 characters or less)
- (Optional) If your proposal includes a specific Artscapes space and round please identify which you most prefer. The list of current Artscapes spaces and rounds that are available are located on the Spaceworks’ website: http://www.spaceworkstacoma.com/apply/current-artscapes-spaces/
(250 words/1500 characters or less).
PROPOSAL DRAWING (optional)
Please submit a proposal sketch or other visual aid for your project. Unless you have identified a specific project site, your proposal does not need to be space specific. This is your chance to help us imagine what your installation could look like. Submit a JPG using the same guidelines as listed for the digital image work samples, or submit a PDF document (3 MB max.)
READY TO APPLY? Go to: https://adobeformscentral.com/?f=MYAr6B8Da3OCa5HdHypdUw for the online application. We suggest you gather all your materials before starting the application. You can not save your work. If you have problems with the online application please contact us.
QUESTIONS? Contact Spaceworks Assistant Gabriel Brown at 253.682.1735 or firstname.lastname@example.org