Applications due on Tuesday, January 21, 2020
Download Spaceworks Training Coordinator Announcement 2020.
Spaceworks Tacoma is seeking an enthusiastic Training Coordinator to support the learning and professional development of creative entrepreneurs and artists. Since 2010, Spaceworks Tacoma has provided business training, public art programming, and creative activation of underutilized spaces throughout Tacoma and Pierce County. This position continues the work of the Spaceworks Incubator, a program that ensures that local creatives have the technical skills and resources to succeed as business owners.
Qualities and Experience
The ideal candidate is passionate about helping creatives grow as professionals. The following roles are critical to the success of this position:
- Educator: uses appropriate techniques and strategies to help adults grow in informal learning environments
- Facilitator: welcomes and learns from the diverse perspectives and expertise of participants
- Community Builder: strengthens the existing Spaceworks alumni network and other creatives in Tacoma
- Case Manager: works one-on-one with participants to help them achieve their individual goals, connecting them with the tools and resources they need to succeed
- Entrepreneur: understands the hopes, dreams, fears, and realities of being an entrepreneur
Providing business training to creative entrepreneurs and artists is a key component of this job; as such, the training coordinator should be familiar with what it takes to launch and run a business. For areas outside of one’s expertise, the coordinator is expected to collaborate, partner, and/or contract with other professionals. Being an advocate for the unique learning needs of adult artists and entrepreneurs in Tacoma is what helps Spaceworks set itself apart as an incubator.
Candidates should have a positive outlook and thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic, and collaborative professional office environment. They should desire to learn new skills and grow their career. Competitive candidates should demonstrate clear written and oral communication skills, the ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines, and a commitment to recruiting and serving diverse program participants. The candidate should be passionate about making Tacoma a great place to live and work.
This position reports to the Spaceworks Program Director and works closely with other Spaceworks team members. Spaceworks is a program of the Tacoma-Pierce County Chamber, a 501(c)(6) nonprofit.
Individuals with 3-5 years of professional experience are encouraged to apply. Incubator alumni, service providers, and those familiar with Spaceworks are especially competitive.
There is an immediate need for the training coordinator to organize and lead the upcoming Business Planning Cohort (March – May 2020). The three-hour classes are held once a week, typically on Tuesday evenings. The cohort is one of many trainings and workshops that will be held throughout the year.
Essential Job Functions
- Coordinate and facilitate the 12-week Business Planning Cohort. On-board and support instructors and guest speakers; update and organize training handouts and materials; collect participant evaluations and feedback.
- Communicate with prospective, current, and alumni program participants
- Support marketing efforts (e.g., newsletter, website, posters); edit and manage client profiles and other online content
- Lead the application and recruitment process for future cohorts/workshops
- Coordinate the monthly Alumni Discussion Group
- Meet one-on-one with program participants and Spaceworks alumni to support their goals
- Recruit and support a roster of coaches, instructors, other technical assistance providers
- Maintain a listing of other relevant training resources and opportunities for creatives
- Assist with invoicing and all reporting requirements with contracts and grants
- Maintain and support the integrity of client databases, files, and records
- Assist with Spaceworks special events, like info sessions or the annual fundraiser
- Other duties as assigned
This is a non-exempt position. The position is full-time, 40 hours/week. Compensation is $21 to 23/hr, depending on experience. While the position requires availability on nights and weekends, there is otherwise a fairly-flexible work schedule. Benefits include:
- Short- & Long-term disability insurance
- AD&D insurance, dental insurance
- 10 paid holidays, 16 days of paid time off
- ORCA transit pass
- Eligibility for the Live Downtown Program
- Bachelor’s degree preferred and/or related experience
- Driver’s license and auto insurance
- High-school diploma or GED required
- Proficient with MS Office Suite
- Ability to pass a WA state criminal background check
- 3-5 years of professional work experience
It is the policy of the Tacoma-Pierce County Chamber that employment decisions are based on merit, qualifications, and competence. Employment practices will not be influenced or affected by virtue of an applicant’s or employee’s race; religion; color; national origin; age; sex; genetic information; the presence of a sensory, physical, or mental disability; marital status; military status; sexual orientation; gender identity; actual or perceived victims of domestic violence, sexual assault, or stalking; or on any other basis protected by federal, state, or local law. This policy governs all aspects of employment, evaluation, promotion, assignment, discharge, and other terms and conditions of employment.
The Tacoma-Pierce County Chamber encourages people from diverse backgrounds to apply.
Application Closing Date:
Tuesday, January 21, 2020
Interviews will be conducted through January 28, with a final decision announced shortly thereafter.
Anticipated State Date
Monday, February 17, 2020
This date is flexible, with the understanding that the first Business Planning Cohort begins in late March.
Please send a single PDF file that includes a cover letter and resume to:
Michael Liang – Spaceworks Program Director
Email Subject Line: Spaceworks Training Coordinator